WISQARS National Violent Death Reporting System
NVDRS Violent Deaths Report
WISQARS National Violent Death Reporting System Help
Reports for All Ages include those of unknown age. Manner of death reported here is assigned by the state abstractor based on all available standard NVDRS data sources.
Pregnancy Status is for females of reproductive age, 15 to 49.
- No population estimate/rate not applicable;
** indicates unstable value (<=20 deaths);
-- The number of deaths fewer than 10, the number has been suppressed to retain confidentiality;
Three states collected data on >=80% of violent deaths in state, in accordance with requirements under which the state was funded: WA (2015-2017), IL and PA (2015-2019). Denominators for the rates for these states represent only the populations of the counties from which the data were collected. Data for California (CA) are for violent deaths that occurred in four counties in 2017, 21 counties in 2018, 30 counties in 2019, and 35 counties in 2020. Data for Texas are for violent deaths that occurred in four counties in 2020. Denominators for the rates represent only the populations of the counties from which the data were collected.
- Incident: One or more related deaths meeting NVDRS case definitions occurring within the same 24 hours.
- Legal intervention death: ICD-10 term for death resulting from law enforcement actions; does not denote lawfulness.
- Undetermined intent: Death for which evidence indicating one manner of death is no more compelling than evidence indicating another.
- Crude rate: Total number of cases or deaths divided by the total population and multiplied by 100,000.
- Age-adjusted rate: Population age distribution varies by time/geographic area. Age adjusting rates accounts for this using 2000 Census standard population, all races, both sexes.
- National Center for Health Statistics-CDC annual mortality data files for WISQARS Fatal data.
- National Violent Death Reporting System (NVDRS) for Number of Deaths.
- Bureau of Census for Population Estimates.